I received an email last week from Most Wanted (the lifestyle magazine of Vouchercodes.co.uk) challenging me to put together my holiday beauty essentials for under £70. This is harder than it sounds...particularly as my maths is horrendous. I'm also not going on holiday this year (well actually I might be spending a week in a Shepherd's hut in deepest South England, but that's a whole other story).
So assuming I've got the basics (shampoo, toothpaste etc.) or that these are supplied by my imaginary hotel, here is what would make it into my suitcase:
- Organic Surge Daily Care Face Wash is a super gentle, gel cleanser which is perfect for warmer weather. It also contains aloe vera, which is ideal for soothing the skin if you've had a little too much sun. £5.19
- Soltan Moisturising Suncare Spray with Insect Repellent offers thorough UVA and UVB protection without feeling super greasy. It also helps to deter mosquitos! Boots are currently running a buy one get one free deal which means you can pick up the aftersun too for £11.99
- I prefer a separate SPF for my face and by far my favourite is La Roche-Posay's Anthelios sun protection. In particular their Melt-In Cream 30spf. It is pricier at £14.50, but it's non-perfumed and paraben free with reduced content of chemical filters which means it's gentler on sensitive skin.
- I love lighter coverage in hot weather, and as I can't quite fit my favourite NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturiser into the budget, my next choice would be Witch Anti-Blemish Tinted Moisturiser. It's great for normal to oilier skin types as it's quite mattifying, but it also helps clear up blemishes. £5.99
- For added cheek colour, I love Topshop's Cream Blush in Neon Rose. The formula dries down to a slightly powdery finish, meaning it stays put under the sun. £6
- Waterproof mascara is pretty much a holiday essential, and my favourite is Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express Waterproof. It has a big bristle brush to catch every lash and has avoided many a potential panda-eye moment. £7.19
- For extra definition, I've also included a waterproof eyeliner, Smoulder Kohl by Soap & Glory, which is super black and long lasting £4.00, and Maybelline Color Tattoo in On and On Bronze, which is another product which can withstand heat and water. £4.99
- I can't not include a nail polish and a perfect summer colour is Coral Romance by Rimmel Pro. The formula of this line is fantastic and the brush shape makes it really quick and easy to apply. £4.59 (currently 2 for £6 at Superdrug)
- To stop locks drying out in the sunshine, there is a bottle of VO5 Miracle Concentrate, £4.97 at Tesco, which contains a little Argan Oil to keep hair soft and supple.
My total is... £69.41
Phewf, so those would be my choices. If you went on holiday, I'd love to know what you took with you (and extra kudos if you can squeeze it all in under £70...it's harder than it looks!).