Excuse the impromptu post and slightly off topic subject (oh, and the fact that the photos were taken with my phone) but I thought up this ridiculously simple DIY today and it would make a sweet gift (or gift tag?) for anyone who likes gardening or wildlife.
A bag of 'monkey nuts'....*ahem*...or unshelled peanuts
A couple of old wire coat hangers (they are awful for your clothes so this is a great way to recycle them)
Some ribbon or string of your choice
Pliers and wire cutters
1. Snip the hook off the hanger to leave one piece of wire.
2. Using pliers, bend the wire into whatever shape you like. I opted for hearts (simple) and stars (fiddly!).
3. Bend a 1cm length at one end of the wire into a right angle - this will stop the peanuts falling off as you thread them and allow you to join the ends when you're finished.
4. Poke the straight end of the wire through the peanuts - watch your fingers!
5. When the wire is filled with peanuts make the same 1cm bend at the other end of the wire and hook onto the bend you made first.
6. Loop onto some festive ribbon and hang.